You may have heard of Facebook Graph Search but aren’t sure that it matters much to your online marketing strategy. Once you understand the way it works, however, you will most likely change your mind. Many business owners and nonprofit managers are beginning to see that Graph Search could become a primary tool in their marketing arsenal.
To find out which shops or restaurants your friends like or which nonprofits they support with the current Facebook search, you have to search through each friend’s page manually. With the Graph Search feature that is being introduced, you can simply search by “restaurants my friends like.” In this way, friends can recommend all types of products and service providers on Facebook.
While it won’t be fully implemented for several more months, Facebook currently has an online waiting list for those who are interested in getting a sneak peek at the feature. Add your name to the waiting list, and once accepted you can test to see how your business is doing thus far.
Even before you have access to the new search, there are some things you can do to maximize your Facebook visibility. It’s a good time to check both your business page and your personal page to make sure they are ready for the search.
- Tag all of your photos with your business name. This will help connect customers with your products or services.
- Encourage customers to check-in or post about their experience with your business. This can be done through offering discounts, giveaways or other promotions. This will boost your ranking in Graph Search.
- It may seem obvious, but many companies have never completed the “About” section of their pages, added business hours or included their address.
- Ensure you are engaging current and potential customers through interaction. Respond to comments, offer thanks for recommendations and post regularly.
- Check your personal page privacy settings to ensure your business is not negatively affected by photos or statuses posted on your personal page. It’s also a good time to discuss social media policies with employees.
How does Facebook fit into your businesses online marketing plan, and how will Graph Search change this? We’d love to hear your ideas in the comments!
Contact us for more information on how technology and the internet can help you meet the goals of your strategic marketing plan.